Greek and Roman Mythology
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where you become the Myth... Become a God, a demi-god, a faun or satyr, or any other myth....

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A little guide to commonly misused words

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Giddy Death

A little guide to commonly misused words Empty
PostSubject: A little guide to commonly misused words   A little guide to commonly misused words Icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2011 3:10 pm

So, I've noticed a few people misusing some words. Me being the grammar nut I am, I've decided to make a guide.

Your and you're.
A mistake that people can make is when they should be using the word you're, they use your instead. Your is showing possessive and you're is a conjunction of 'you' and 'are', so it doesn't make sense to say something like "Your nice." In a situation like that, you would say, "You're nice." You would use your when talking about something that belongs to someone, like saying "That is your bike." A sentence with all of the words used in it would be "You're good at riding your bike."

There, Their, and They're.
There shows a direction, so it would be used in a sentence like this: "The cat is over there." Their, like your, shows possessive, and would be used like this: "That is their cat." They're is a conjunction of 'they' and 'are', and would be used like this: "They're getting the cat." A sentence with all of the words in it would be "They're getting their cat from over there."

I hope this helps, and if there's anything that someone would like me to add, I'd be happy to add it.
Back to top Go down
Hi I didn't see you there

Hi I didn't see you there

A little guide to commonly misused words Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little guide to commonly misused words   A little guide to commonly misused words Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 10:43 pm

You forgot its and it's
Back to top Go down

A little guide to commonly misused words
Page 1 of 1